• Archives

  • Meta Stuff

  • Advertisements

What Else Went On This Week

I’ve decided the name Friday Fini blows, so this is what I’m calling my weekly wrap-up instead. Sometimes you just have to call things what they are.

This was an insane week. We had fires, destruction (of my kitchen), work is ramping up, and I’m sick today (like body-wracking aches and chills with the flu and a migraine sick)


Monday was the one-year anniversary of my dog Callie’s death. She was 10 years old. When Callie was about 7 she somehow got a tick-bourne disease (Rocky Mountain Spotted Fever) and it affected her kidneys. Twice before she passed away, she went into kidney failure and we thought we were going to lose her, but miraculously (really, no hyperbole here) she came back. Callie was quite possibly the sweetest, smartest dog EVER. We rescued her from the pound (although I like to think she rescued me) and she immediately became part of the family. The entire extended family. She was just a cool dog. When went into kidney failure the last time, it happened so swiftly and she slipped into a coma. I really thought I was going to have to make the heart-wrenching decision to put her down. Fortunately, she slipped away on her own. Not a day goes by when I don’t miss her. I like to think she sent Gracie to me to take some of that pain away (Or annoy me. I’m not sure which).



Gracie (aka Trouble)

Gracie (aka Nothin' But Trouble)

Tuesday and Wednesday

On Tuesday the contractor came to start the destruction demolition of our kitchen. I’ve been dreading this waiting for months for this to happen. The thought of having a new-and-improved kitchen that I will actually want to cook in makes me giddy. The living out of boxes, making coffee in the guest bathroom and washing dishes in the tub (my lovely, bubble-bath-soaking tub) while it’s being done? Not so much.

A couple of months ago we knocked out a wall between the kitchen and dining room and closed up a door from the kitchen to the yard in order to make a slightly bigger, more usable kitchen. We vacillated between gutting it completely or refacing the existing cabinets. In the end we decided to do a little of both. We left the basic kitchen intact, but changed one bottom corner cabinet so we could actually use it, and we added another top cabinet. Then the whole thing was going to be refaced.

The contractor came on Tuesday to start. I had to spend some time with him that morning going over the project before he started. When we were done, it suddenly seemed like a massive job and I asked when his guys were going to show up to help. “No guys. Just me,” he said. And I thought, “Shit. This is going to take a fucking month.” Little did I know I had hired Robo Contractor.

When I came home Tuesday night, all of the old tile counter top had been ripped out and whisked away somewhere so cleanly, you’d be hard pressed to prove its existence. The new cabinets were installed and the refacing of the cabinet boxes was totally done. That just left hanging the doors, installing the drawers, installing the hardware and attaching the moulding. When Robo Contractor showed up Wednesday morning he said he’d be one by 7:00 that night. 48 hours to completely re-do a kitchen. I felt like I was in an episode of Trading Spaces. But with better taste.

I’ve got some during and after pictures that I was going to post but I haven’t had time to go through them yet. I’ll do that over the weekend.

True to his word, he was done when I got home Wednesday night. I am amazed. And giddy! It looks great. Better than I imagined, in fact.

Unfortunately, we won’t actually have a counter top (which means no kitchen sink) for about two more weeks. So back to the bathroom I go to do my dishes and make my coffee.


The air has been bone dry this week so I knew I was due for a whopping sinus migraine. Sure enough it started to creep up on me last night, working its way up the muscles of my neck, to the front of my head, and settled right above my right eyeball. But because that wasn’t torturous enough, my body decided to slam me with the flu too. Talk about kicking someone when they’re down. I was sick last weekend and I thought I was over it, but I obviously didn’t slow down enough and rest. This morning I thought a hot shower would help soothe my joints and achy muscles but the heat was too much for me. I had to sit down on the floor of the shower (read: curl up in a ball) while I tried not to throw up. Or wished I could. I wasn’t sure which would make me feel better. I could barely stay in there long enough to rinse the shampoo out of my hair. The nausea finally passed, but I’d rather be curled up in bed with my electric blanket (even though it’s going to be 90 degrees today) than sitting here at my desk at work. It’s taking every bit of energy I have not to put my head on my desk and go to sleep. But I’ve got too many projects due today.

It’s been a long, exhausting week. Hopefully, after some rest, next week will be better and I will be healthier.


6 Responses

  1. Oh poor you Snark. Take care of that flu!

    Sorry to hear about your pets death, even if it was many years ago. It’s so sad when you lose a pet. it really is.

    I have a boxer who is almost 2. I hear they only live an average of 9-12 years and already I;m thinking about it and dreading the day. If I love her in 10 years as much as I do now, it will send me over the edge. Amazing connection really. Going through any kind of construction is just horrible. Patience Patience.

    Have you gotten bathroom doors yet ? I can’t wait to see the before and after pics.

    You’re probably getting sick because of the stress of the reno. Try to take it easy eh Grams and stay cool.

  2. Are you nuts? You go to work with a raging flu/migraine? How do they even let you in the door? We’d be sent home pdq.

    On the other hand you must have found the only reliable, quick, competent contractor on the planet. Congratulations. You might want to check with your husband about maybe including him in your marriage so he can’t get away.

  3. I AM nuts. But there are certain times that if you’re breathing you have to be there. I work in entertainment marketing—we do print and online ad campaigns for theatrical release movies (no so much home video), so when a movie opens if you’re not dead, you need to be in. It’s pretty brutal actually.

  4. Holy crap, I’d almost forgotten there is a real world of dog-eat-dog work out there. I was in advertising for a brief, unshining moment in my life and it was like that there. You surrender your life to the company 24/7 no matter what. I hope you had a chance to recover over the weekend and are feeling better.

  5. I still miss sweet Callie. She was such a special doggy. But the greeting I got from Gracie the other night? ALSO ROCKED. 😉 She’s a special doggy too!

    Kitchen looks so purrrrrdy.

  6. Yeah, Gracie is kind of special in the short bus kind of way! (But I love that about her.)

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: